He couldn’t move for a couple of days. Both lying and walking was extremely painful. Eventually he called me to ask what he could do for what he called a “pulled muscle” because this was how it felt.
I told him that the best thing to do was to use cool compresses until the inflammation and pain got less intense. I also told him to start using magnesium oil for his injury until he recovered, as well as come to see me for a back massage with magnesium oil.
Causes of lower back pain
In my experience as a therapist I have met many people with this problem looking for natural ways to relieve back pain. So I did some research and decided to write this blog post to help those who were unfortunate to suffer either from this condition.
There are 5 main reasons for back pain:
- Weight issues
- Long-standing psychological problems
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Magnesium deficiency
- Spending too much time in the same position which leads to back strain
- Incorrect ways of lifting weights (this usually results in acute back pain)
- Age-related structural changes.
Traditional medical treatment of lower back pain involves prescribing non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and even opioids. Both of these, while bringing immediate pain relief, have serious side-effects, while addressing only the symptom of the problem and not the cause of it.
For example, NSAIDs can result in 2 to 4 times higher rate of heart attacks and strokes, digestive problems, high blood pressure, kidney problems and other issues. Opioids, on the other hand, are highly addictive. Anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin, ibuprofen affect the stomach lining and often lead to digestive problems which may even result in internal bleeding. There are other medicines, often very expensive, which have even more serious consequences.
8 Natural ways to relieve lower back pain
- Lose weight. Shedding even a few pounds will take a considerable load off the spine and muscles supporting it. It will also help protect the intervertebral discs from being squashed. Work towards establishing and maintaining an optimal weight to height ratio (BMI – body mass index).
- Reduce the amount of acute and chronic stress in your life. Identify and work towards eliminating causes of stress. You may need to ask for help from a stress management coach.
- Address your emotional issues. It is believed that emotional pain translates into physical problems, and back/muscle / joint pain take the worst of it. Often when emotional issues get resolved the pain eventually goes away. A good psychotherapist who employs hypnotherapy in his or her practice could be very helpful.
- Adjust your posture, be more active. Sedentary lifestyle, incorrect posture and repetitive strain can result in a permanent damage to the spine. Make sure that your back is supported. Sit straight, with the stomach sucked in. Move around frequently. Take regular breaks during work.
- Exercise. Gentle stretching – for example by doing Yoga and Pilates exercises – is perhaps the best form of keeping the back in a good condition.
- Have regular massage treatments. It will soften the tissues and help stretch the muscles. Besides, it is very soothing to the mind. Book a magnesium massage for best effect.
- Drink lots of water – it helps to keep muscles and joints supple and maintain intervertebral discs in a healthy, hydrated state.
- Address magnesium deficiency by supplementing magnesium in your diet. If magnesium is deficient, soft tissues begin to calcify and calcium crystals begin to form in joints, which contributes further to back pain. Transdermal magnesium therapy will help to soften those hardened, tense muscles and rigid joints. Take a bath with magnesium salts, apply magnesium oil on the body every day, have hot compresses. If you would like to experience fast relief from back pain, have a Far Infrared Magnesium Wrap.
Of course, these are most common causes and solutions. Sometimes, when the damage has already been done, a complex of measures is needed, and pain relief medication may be unavoidable. Nevertheless, following the steps above can help alleviate the worst of the pain, thus reducing reliance on medicines.
Back pain statistics – infographic
To buy magnesium oil, Epsom salt or magnesium flakes, visit saltsclaysminerals.com.
To book magnesium-based treatments, get in touch with us.
To study our courses, including Transdermal Magnesium Therapy, visit courses.purenaturecures.com